MARCH 2020: Comcast announced changes to its Internet Essentials program to support low-income households as the nation copes with the COVID-19 pandemic. The changes provide for:
- Speed increase from 15/2 MBPS to 25/3 MBPS for all new and existing customers, and will become the speed of the service going forward.
- 60 days of internet service for free for new Internet Essentials customers.
- No credit check
- No installation fee
- No equipment rental fee
- No term contract
- 15Mbps/2Mbps download/upload speeds - UPDATE - As of March 2020 speed will be 25Mbps/3Mbps up
- In-home WiFi included
- 40 1-hour sessions of free access to XFINITY WiFi hotspots every 30 days (https://www.internetessentials.com/Getting-Help/WiFihotspots) (WiFi hotspot map and app: http://wifi.xfinity.com/)
- Device – eligible household can purchase a refurbished desktop or laptop computer for $149.99+tax (offer includes Microsoft Office, Norton Security Suite & 90-day warranty) (computer specs: https://www.internetessentials.com/low-cost-computer)
August 2019: Comcast opened eligibility to ALL qualified low-income households.
(if your child’s school has a least 40% of the student population qualifying for NSLP, then every student at the school, regardless of NSLP is eligible.)
Have no outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than a year old. (Households with outstanding debt more than a year old may be eligible)
Live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available but have not subscribed to it within the last 90 days.
[Even if you have XFINITY TV and/or XFINITY Voice already but not internet service, if you meet the eligibility criteria above, you are eligible for Internet Essentials.]
Start an application through the Online Application Tool at https://apply.internetessentials.com/ or https://aplicar.internetessentials.com/
Call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376) to confirm eligibility and apply
Internet Essentials subscribers can purchase a refurbished desktop or laptop computer for $149.99+tax (offer includes Microsoft Office, Norton Security Suite & 90-day warranty) (computer specs: https://www.internetessentials.com/low-cost-computer)